A Safe and Clean CO2 Extraction Environment
THE SAFEST CO2 EXTRACTION LAB ON THE MARKET
Norseman EXLab CO2
CLEANROOM-LIKE ENVIRONMENT COMBINED WITH SAFETY FEATURES
EXLab CO2 Features
- The packaged HVAC unit provides a comfortable working environment and a fresh air supply for ventilation. It can be tailored for your individual climate conditions.
- The adjustable and re-configurable CO2 venting port (MCT) accommodates a multitude of tube or pipe sizes and can be easily configured to accept your off-gassing method.
- The weatherproof main electrical distribution panel is located on the exterior of the unit, outside of the hazardous area and out of the way.
- The entry door is of steel construction and equipped with an automatic closer, a panic exit device, and weather seals.
- The module can be mounted directly on a shop floor or foundation, on piers, blocks, outdoors, indoors, or be made mobile.
Peer Reviewed for Compliance & Safety
Norseman’s EXLab design has been peer reviewed for compliance in all 50 states by the industry leading third-party engineering firm Pressure Safety Inspectors (PSI). We can send your permitting authorities a copy of our approval letter confirming compliance with the following standards:
- California Code of Regulations, Title 24, Part 4. (2019). California Mechanical Code.
- International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials. (2021). Uniform Mechanical Code.
- International Code Council. (2018). International Fire Code.
- International Code Council. (2018). International Mechanical Code.
- International Code Council. (2018). Washington Fire Code (WAC 51-54A).
- International Code Council. (2019). California Fire Code.
- National Fire Protection Association. (2018). NFPA 1 Fire Code. Quincy, MA: NFPA.
The EXLab CO2 Design Concept
An EXLab CO² Extraction Lab provides an environment designed for the constant presence carbon dioxide while maintaining a safe working environment..
The enclosure consists of easily cleanable and durable walls and ceiling to provide GMP compliant surfaces.
The ventilation system has been designed to create a comfortable & safe work area by providing enough fresh air circulation to cycle-out any CO² that might accidentally be released inside the room, while maintaining room temperature.
A fixed gas detector has been installed that will monitor the CO² levels and notify occupants in the event of a gas release. The safe CO² levels, as defined by OSHA, should be held below 5000ppm. Norseman has held ourselves to a higher standard and have our ppm set points at 2000 & 4000ppm. Once gas levels reach 2000ppm a visual indicator on the gas detector will be illuminated and a strobe will begin to flash inside the unit, so action can be taken to remedy the situation. If the gas levels continue to rise to 4000ppm an alarm will sound and the receptacles powering the extraction equipment will be powered down. Once the gas has been cleared the strobe and alarm will cease.
All of the electrical equipment installed inside the C1D1 area will be rated for C1D1 use and UL listed; including, but not limited to: the lights, receptacles, switches, and gas detector. This means that they are sealed and/or intrinsically safe. Even in the event that the room atmosphere reaches 100% LEL or above, there is no chance of an ignition from the electrical components.
There is a single enclosure with a disconnect switch on the exterior of the module where the main power is connected, this is the main “kill switch”. All wiring inside the module will be completed up to this enclosure, but any remotely located devices will need to be wired separately.
If you’ve opted to have our fire suppression system supplied, one or more dry chemical suppressant units will need to be installed on the module ceiling. These units are individually heat initiated and come ready for use from the manufacturer. The pressurized bottles are considered a hazardous load and will be shipped directly to your site for field installation to the factory installed mounting hardware in the EXLab. This is a very simple install, just screw the bottle onto the provided mounting base, just like a light bulb.
The module’s PLC has the ability to signal other devices such as flow valves for your solvent system and alarm panels, but Norseman does not currently cover these items in our scope. If you will be connecting to any ancillary systems please let Norseman know, so we can help facilitate a seamless integration and provide you with the appropriate support.